INBAR Department:Global Programme
Report to:Manager of the Dutch-Sino-East Africa Bamboo Development Programme
Duration:2 years, with 6-month probation period
The International Bamboo and Rattan Organisation (INBAR) is an inter-governmental development organization committed to reducing poverty and protecting the environment through the use of bamboo and rattan. With headquarters in Beijing, China and offices in India, Ethiopia, Ghana, and Ecuador, INBAR works with 43 member countries worldwide.
INBAR is currently seeking a highly capable national project coordinator with a demonstrated track record in coordinating sustainable natural resource management, rural livelihood development and or industrialization international cooperation projects. The coordinator will form part of INBAR’s project implementation team for the “Dutch-Sino-East Africa Bamboo Development Programme”.
This is a 3-year project started since the end of 2016, managed by INBAR and supported by the Governments of the Netherlands and China. The project is implemented in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda, with technical support from China and the Netherlands. The coordinator will be based in Uganda and responsible for day-to-day coordination of Uganda-based project activities.
Renewal will be based on performance and fund availability.
This position is open to locally based candidates.
- Be responsible for liaising with local project partners in Uganda and providing daily technical support to them to implement agreed project activities in line with the overall project framework, work plan and budget
- Report on a monthly basis to the INBAR Project manager on project progress;
- Provide logistics support to INBAR staff and Chinese and Dutch partners when they travel to Uganda on project related business;
- Supporting INBAR’s Membership Unit to maintain close relations with the Government of Uganda focal point and other related government institutions and Ministries;
- Work closely with the INBAR Communications, Membership Affairs and Programme teams to synthesize and share results and knowledge developed over the project;
- Work with the INBAR project manager to develop training materials and extension programmes in English and local languages in Uganda;
- Provide technical support to local project partners to establish bamboo demonstration nurseries, sustainable bamboo management practices and new plantations on degraded areas;
- Provide support to Ugandan project partners for the establishment of model demonstration common production and training centers/groups for value-added bamboo product production;
- Undertake other related tasks as required by the INBAR Project Manager.
- A Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience working in implementation teams for large-scale livelihood and environment development projects in Uganda;
- Demonstrated expertise on natural resource management, value chain development and marketing;
- Strong knowledge of community development and participatory-based approaches, with a proven track-record of delivering livelihood impacts in previous projects;
- Experience of working on bamboo and, or, other related Non-Timber Forest Product (NTFP) value chains would be a strong advantage
- Graduate in Forestry or another related field
- Excellent Written & Spoken English and working proficiency in Swahili is required for this position
- Candidate should be willing to undertake extensive travel in Uganda, as well as to INBAR offices and other project target countries as required
Applications will be accepted until 29th December 2017.
All applications will be acknowledged, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please send a cover letter with your Curriculum Vitae to:
Human Resources Department, INBAR: email@example.com
Please indicate the position to which you are applying in the email subject line.
To learn more about INBAR, please visit our website at: www.inbar.int
INBAR Department:Human Resources
Report to:Director of General and Head of Administration and Human Resources
INBAR is the only global inter-governmental development organization committed to reducing poverty and protecting the environment through the use of bamboo and rattan. With headquarters in Beijing, China and offices in India, Ethiopia, Ghana and Ecuador, the INBAR Secretariat supports its 43 Member States worldwide and has links with a large number of international, regional, and national organisations.
INBAR is currently seeking a highly capable Consultant for Human Resources Policy Development for INBAR.
The consultant will develop the draft HR manual within 2 months after the contract signed, then organize a meeting with INBAR team in Beijing to get comments and feedback. Based on this, the consultant will develop a final version of the manual within 4 months after the contract signed.
Travel: The consultant is required to travel to INBAR Headquarters in Beijing China at least once to meet INBAR management team and other staff members. Travel costs are reimbursable against receipt.
- Review the existing INBAR HR policies;
- Conduct necessary talks/meetings with relevant INBAR staff to collect information about the current HR situation;
- Evaluate the current INBAR HR management system;
- Position the INBAR current staff salary and benefits package in international and local HR market;
- Compare INBAR current HR conditions and policies with UN and other inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations in China and elsewhere;
- Create a comprehensive and practical Human Resources Policy Manual for INBAR that deals with both Headquarters in China and Regional Offices
- Manual to include - Recruitment procedure;
- Manual to include - A comprehensive, competitive and realistic Pay Scale for all positons in both Headquarters and Regional Offices based on the updated international HR market;
- Manual to include - A comprehensive, competitive and realistic staff benefits package for all groups of staff members in both Headquarters and Regional Offices;
- Manual to include - Staff performance evaluation and financial incentive system;
- Manual to include - Staff training and development system;
- Manual to include - Procedures for handling discrimination, complaints and disputes;
- Manual to include - Other parts as appropriate that make up a comprehensive and practical human resource polices/system for INBAR, which complies with its organisational objectives;
- Advanced Degree in Human Resources, or other related fields;
- A minimum 5 years of HR management experience;
- Strong analyzing skills and familiar with difference salary and benefits structures for difference international organisations;
- Have good understanding on HR policies for international organisations;
- Experience with an inter-government organizations will be an advantage;
- Strong communication skills; Excellent written & spoken English is required;
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, Outlook
- Knowledge of Chinese will be an advantage
Applications will be accepted until 31st January 2018. All applications will be acknowledged, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further action. Please send a cover letter with your Curriculum Vitae to: Human Resources Department, INBAR: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the position to which you are applying in the email subject line.
INBAR Department:BARC (Global Congress)
Report to:BARC Coordinator
Duration:Fixed Term – The contract will be end in July 2018
The International Bamboo and Rattan Organisation (INBAR)
is the only global inter-governmental development organization committed to reducing poverty and protecting the environment through the use of bamboo and rattan. With headquarters in Beijing, China and offices in India, Ethiopia, Ghana and Ecuador, the INBAR Secretariat supports its 43 Member States worldwide and has links with a large number of international, regional, and national organisations.
After 20 years of development, INBAR has grown rapidly. By hosting the first Global Bamboo and Rattan Congress (BARC 2018), we seek to provide a platform for South-South and South-South cooperation on sustainable development. We also strive to further reinforce bamboo and rattan’s role in advancing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially climate change mitigation and adaptation.
INBAR will invite approximately 1200-1500 participants from the government, civil society, business, academia, and media sectors. They will be selected according to their particular affiliation, skills, background or interests in bamboo and rattan.
The 2018 Global Bamboo and Rattan Congress (BARC 2018) will be held in later June of 2018. The Congress will be held in the National Convention Centre and will involve the following activities:
- Global Ministerial Summit
- Research and Innovation Exchange
- Bamboo and Rattan Business Forum
- Trade Fair and Exhibition
- Field Visits to Forests and Producers
INBAR is currently seeking a number of experienced and highly capable Events Assistants for a period until the end of BARC 2018, 31st
July 2018, to help the work in BARC team.
Allowance - RMB 10,000/Month
- Responsible for the BARC official website content updating in both English and Chinese (www.barc2018.org);
- Update the content for BARC APP
- Responsible for air tickets arrangement for BARC guests
- Working with the conference company for the hotel accommodation arrangements
- Responsible to the communication materials and other documents preparation
- Responsible for the content quality control for the congress materials and make sure the accuracy of all the content for BARC, including the congress handbook, schedule, etc.;
- Work with suppliers and make sure all the materials are ready for the congress on time;
- Responsible for convention design in National Convention Center (NCC) with the help of the conference company
- Work with the conference company for the establishment of the venue in NCC;
- Responsible for site co-ordination before and during the events;
- Coordination with different suppliers and vendors
- Take care of Field Excursion;
- Liaise with the conference company for the field visits related issues;
- Itinerary arrangements for the field visits;
- Responsible for the logistic management for the field visits;
- Liaise with BARC 2018 session partners for session organizing affairs;
- Liaise with VIPs, speakers and other participants to support their participation
- Maintain a partners and participants information sheet;
- Other responsibilities may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor degree or above; knowledge and experiences in forest management and utilization, social development, environment protection or related fields are preferred;
- Be fluent in written and spoken English;
- Willing to work in a small office with cross-cultural international staff, and therefore flexible in work planning and execution;
- Ability to build relationships; excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Well organised, and ability to organise their own work and work efficiently in order to meet deadlines and requirements;
- Skillful in basic computer operation, experience in website/APP content management is preferred;
- Strong willingness in taking initiatives in work and perform under pressue
- Experience of organizing big scale events will be preferred
All applications will be acknowledged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please send a cover letter with your Curriculum Vitae to HR@inbar.int as soon as possible.
Please indicate the position to which you are applying in the email subject.
To learn more about INBAR, please visit our website: www.inbar.int